Monday, December 1, 2008

Magic Soup


I've always loved the book Stone Soup. This is a story of three clever soldiers who trick a stingy village into giving them a meal. My favorite aspect of this book is the subtle way in which the soldiers are able to make something out of nothing. Vegetables and meat, once hidden from the traveling men, make their way into the large pot. Laughing, feasting and dancing replace the villagers' wary suspicions.


With the same gusto and cleverness, I make "Magic Soup." Whether I use a carcass from a turkey or one from Cub's broasted chicken, I have made many pots of this soup for my family.

Others call it "turkey stock" or simply broth. But in our house, it's Magic Soup. After I've pulled off the larger bits of meat I place the bones, skin and drippings in my third largest pot. Two gallons of water nicely cover it all. Whole, cleaned carrots, celery, parsley and onions join the water. After the pot comes to a boil, I turn the heat down and "simmer the heck out of it." (Another bloggers words, not mine) Then the magic begins.

The fragrance makes its way up to the bedrooms. The slight bubbling and rattling can be heard in the living room. As people go through the kitchen, they stop to give it a stir. My husband asks if I know that something is cooking and should he turn it off. The cat becomes a little more vocal.


When some time has passed, (not a little, not a lot) those 2 gallons of water have magically turned into 3 quarts of rich, golden-brown broth. After straining out the bones and mushy vegetables, the pot cools on the back step. Another magic transformation occurs as it gels and the fat hardens on the top. Now it's ready to become the secret ingredient in any number of recipes.








No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...