Thursday, March 5, 2009

"I guess you never stop being Mom"

Today, on leaving the coffee shop, I passed 2 women in their early seventies on the sidewalk. One appeared to be wiping her eyes as she said, "I guess you never stop being Mom." For a brief moment, I was looking down the corridor of time at myself ...


I've seen these two older women around town and know them to be civic-minded and politically active. Though we are at opposite ends of the political spectrum, I admire their active, intelligent and involved lives. Witnessing that brief interchange in front of the cafe reminded me that all mothers, regardless of lifestyle differences, "never stop being Mom."


As I drove home, I thought of the conversations I've had with my brood over the past week. With 7 children ranging in ages from 11 to 24, the topics are quite a mix:


playground politics,

catty co-workers

recovering from the flu

roommate issues

teenage divas

aches and pains from working out

too much homework

getting grounded

classroom dynamics

a hankering for French fries

French wine

growing pains

not liking a job

loving a job

broken hearts

lonely hearts

stupid jokes

witty come-backs

etc..................................


No matter what the age or how many kids, once a mom, always a mom!

No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...