Saturday, January 17, 2009

Character Counts

Recently, while having coffee with a friend, the topic of developing character qualities came up. I think we would all agree that having a life filled with strong character qualities is a good thing. However, sometimes as parents our approaches and motivations when working with our children lacks the depth and life that I think God intended. As a homeschooler I've come across myriads of books and curriculum for "teaching character." If we're not careful, developing godly qualities in our children becomes a "should" and is about as exciting as a spelling list or dusting the bookshelves.

Our starting point MUST be an understanding of unconditional love. God doesn't adjust His love for us if we become more compassionate, thrifty or punctual. (Parents, learn this well.... we don't want to pass on performance to our sons and daughters!) We don't earn more of His attention or affection if we persevere of are long-suffering.

Let me offer to you 2 good reasons for applying yourself (and your children) to grow in various character qualities:
1. For the sake of others. If we're to share the gospel with others and be a testimony of God's transforming grace, we won't want to be "pills" or a "pain in the butt." If we're irresponsible, sarcastic or untrustworthy others won't give us enough time in their lives to be that shining example of how God truly loves sinners.
2. For the sake of the Kingdom. Though God wouldn't love me more, He can't use me as much if I'm a lazy, mouthy, disrespectful person. Let's say God needs a sensitive, compassionate person for a bit of ministry in my neighborhood. If I've set myself to grow in those areas, I get to be used by God. Or maybe a situation calls for someone who won't give up. If I'm content being a whiny wimp, God may tap someone else on the shoulder for that job.

Positive motivators are much more effective in teaching and training our children. I could purchase a sticker chart, or I could encourage my children's hearts to bless others and to bless God.

No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...