Sunday, August 7, 2011

Coldwater Swimming

One of my favorite places in the world is the North Shore of Minnesota.  Once I get up to Duluth, leave I35 and get on the scenic Highway 61, the fresh air and view of Lake Superior refresh me from from my wind-blown hair to my flip flops.

Lake Superior is ruggedly stunning. As the glaciers retreated from this area, they left behind eroded igneous material, much of which covers the rocky beaches on the North Shore. The modern shoreline is composed of basalt lava flows and is covered with the unique, rounded North Shore rocks.  Lake Superior is the largest fresh water lake in the world.  It is the largest, deepest and coldest of the Great Lakes with an average summer temperature of 40 degrees.


Regardless of the cool temperatures, we made the most of the lake shore.





No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...