Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Etsy Shop

At my house, I often say, "I'm the clever one."  Not that everyone agrees, but I say it nonetheless.  Sometimes, I'm also the crafty one.

When I was a kid, I would watch my mother sew, paint, crochet, and attempt a lot of other handmade crafts.  My siblings and I wore a lot of outfits that our mother had made.  And we wore them proudly because they were so well-made.  I learned from my mom that busy hands were happy hands.

I know how to knit basic stitches and have made wash clothes, scarves, sweater vests, and afghans the size of a double bed.  In need of something new to make, I had a fortuitous meeting with a friend who mentioned a knitted, beaded bracelet.  I bought a kit with directions and quickly became addicted.  Even though I don't wear a lot of jewelry, I can appreciate pretty things.

After I'd made 7 or 8 bracelets, I figured I should do something with them.  A few are set aside for gifts; but I needed to find an avenue to make some money off the rest.  And, making a little money would also help justify the expense of the huge selection of beads that I've purchased.

Enter Etsy!  I've opened my own shop, Jasper Gate,  selling these beautiful hand-made creations.  My original name choice was "007 Mom," but that was taken.  So, I chose one of the gems listed in the book of Revelation.  Jasper is one of the foundation stones of the New Jerusalem, and is found on Aaron's breastplate.  (See the Precious Stones website.)

My initial offerings on Etsy.  Check them out!








No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...