Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Elections, Again



Four years ago, I wrote a short response to the 2008 elections.  I wrote it because, even though some of the people I had voted for were not elected, it was important to me that I look forward in a healthy way.  And I wanted to encourage others to take the high road.

I could have just copied the text of that blog into today's post.  (Go here to read it for yourself.)   I'm just as discouraged by the negative ads and mud-slinging. I'm disappointed that so many bright, intelligent people have stooped to insulting and maligning candidates and the people who support them.  I've read the rhetoric from Republicans and Democrats and have been struck that facts and details are notably replaced with inflammatory remarks and accusations.And now I feel even more strongly that we need to guard our hearts and tongues.

One of the differences for our family this time around is that my two youngest children are old enough to be involved in political discussions at home and at school.  They, too, have felt the pressures of this election season.  Many times they found themselves outnumbered by students who had values and voting preferences opposed to theirs.  Like me, they chose to be gracious and to listen respectfully. As a family, we've chosen to value people as individuals and our relationships with them over politics.  As I told them one day, I'm just fine being confident in my convictions without having to argue my points or to prove that I'm right to someone else.

Our nation is in danger of further polarization.  As we look forward, we only do ourselves a disservice if we continue to defame and revile opposing political parties or any of our elected officials.  Christians are charged by God to pray for all in authority.
"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." (I Tim. 2: 1 - 4)
  Let me encourage you as I did four years ago.  If you really want to see real "change" in your community or nation, take special care about what's in your hearts and on your tongues.

1 comment:

Michelle West said...

Amen...I love you Tammy.

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...