Friday, February 15, 2013

Literary Love Letters



Last week, when my classes met the day before Valentine's Day, I assigned the students to write a "love letter" that had a literary connection.  Some of them were fun and fascinating.  I thought others would enjoy these.  Read and have fun ....







Dear Long Words,
Thank you for helping me confuse people into thinking that my intelligence has sprung from a kindergartener's level to a mensa genius.  You make a boring story sound entertainting.  All my love to you.


To my favorite punctuation --
My Dearest Period,
     My heart is full with immense love for you.  My life has change because of you.  It is as though the former sentence of my life has ended and a new one has begun.  You have also abbreviated all the pain in my life and filled me with new purpose.  Because of this I felt an urgent need to write and tell you of my affection.
With all my love,
An Anonymous Word


Dear Rhyming,
Thank you for making things so awesome,
Whenever I am using you, my poetry seems to blossom,
You make rap music bounce with every single word
Because without you that music would be absurd.
I love your way of appearing in almost every book
And without your presence in it people wouldn't care to look.
Thank you so much for being in my life
And thanks to you I will never have grammar strife.


Dear Hunger Games,
You are fantastic.  I live in the Capitol, so I never get chosen.  The excitement and glamor surrounding the tributes is unbearable.  This year marks the 74th Hunger Games.  The male tribute from District 12 proclaimed his love for his fellow tribute from 12.   This should be interesting.  Last year was pretty lack-luster, so I'm expecting this year's games to be riveting with pulse-pounding expense.


Dear Period,
I have wanted to get together for a long time now, but you have been away at the university teaching all the "i" dots how to climb up the pole to reach their designated spot.  I hope I may see you again, my love.  Perhaps we can make a semicolon together.
Yours forever,
Comma


My dear, dear pencil,
Oh how I love you.  I could not function without you.  My life without you would be bland.  To think of typing my assignments, oh man!  My homework is too hard to type out.  School might be too easy to flunk out.  My dear pencil with 9 mm lead, I never would choose a pen instead.  I used you to write out this paper.  And my love for you will never waver.


Dear Little Lovely 'Literation,
Words while wonderful will fatally fail for your funniest fan.  As all A's allow alphabets a start, so start a sheet in my life.  Throughout the time these tributes take to write, I have tought about how wonderful your letters are.
Yours truly, trustingly, traditionally, traversingly, truly, once more,
Papers plus poems


My Beloved Pencil,
You have been my helpmeet for quite some time.  When I found you, you had been left alone in the bottom of the pencil box.  At first sight I knew I loved you and your way of keeping me organized.  We have written a lot together, subjects about Patrick Henry, the French Revolution and gas prices.  I hope we'll never be apart.


Oh my dear "There is,"
Your radiance glows.  How wonderful you are.  Truly, truly you are so correct, so fine.  Lovely "There is," please be mine.  I can't wait to use you constantly in papers. Oh "There is," how I hope our love never vapors.  What's that?  You are being taken away?  By whom?  Where?  Are you leaving to stay? By golly, by folly, darn diddley flum -- it's that grammarian Mrs. Prichard on the run.  She took you?  She destroyed you?  Well that's just too bad.  I'll just look back and smile on the time which we had.


My Dearest Semicolon,
I love using you in sentences and papers very much; you join two sentences together that I want as one without using a period or comma and coordinating conjunction.  Mrs. Prichard says you are like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup; you are like having the best of both worlds -- chocolate and peanut butter together.  In the end, you are my favorite part of grammar, but I cannot over use you and abuse you.  Less is more.
Love,
TB


To my dearest darling, the comma,
All my life, I have been mystified by your power to make a wrong sentence right.  The world could not function as it should without you.
Always yours,
A Student

No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...