Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Argentina, Day 1


Friday, September 28, 2007
Dear Friends and Family,

Since you are praying for us and we’re here in great part because of your generosity and your encouragement, I thought I’d keep you a bit abreast of our adventure here in Argentina.

Jim and I left the house around 10:30 on Thursday morning (a huge thanks to Dick Cover for driving us to the airport!) and arrived in Buenos Aires Argentina at 9:00 am on Friday morning. We were in the air about 11 hours with a 4 hour layover in Houston. Airports are fascinating places. I love watching people. In an airport, people have a bit of “lifelessness” about them. They’re probably looking forward to their destination, but their faces and demeanor sure don’t show it. Hmm, I’m sensing an object lesson here. Do our faces and demeanors show that we know our destination is Heaven and that we are looking forward to it?

Upon arriving at the airport in Buenos Aires I was immediately conscious of the effects of the Tower of Babel! I heard nothing of my little brand of Minnesotan English, ya sure. The only Spanish I know is si, gracias, nachos, and quesadilla. Thankfully, the customs official said little, and I could aptly use two of my vocabulary words. I kept wanting to say things in German, since this is the only foreign language I know. How odd.

Our one night in Buenos Aires was spent at the Panamericanos (www.panamericanos.us). A stunning 5 star hotel! Jim says “I was born for hotels like this.” A telephone in the bathroom. Dimming lights. A king size bed. Hard wood floors and a heated marble floor in the bathroom. Our first event with the conference delegates was a dinner at a large restaurant around the corner. It was an amazing 7 course meal: rolls, greens with marinated onions, empanadas, spicy sausage with a fist-sized piece of gouda cheese, steaks an inch thick and the size of the plate, French fries, and a vanilla/raspberry ice with chocolate sauce. Our return trip to the hotel was more of a waddle than a walk. Now with full tummies and very little sleep for the last 36 hours, we should sleep like logs!

Tam (too tired and full to think anymore ….)

No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...