Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chicken Satay

Since our daughter's return from Phuket, Thailand, we've been experimenting with some Thai recipes.  I found a great book, Simply Thai Cooking, at my favorite book store, Half Price Books.  (And, it was clearance priced at $3.00!)  In the old days, before my husband was diagnosed with celiac, I used various packets for fixing Asian foods.  Unfortunately, many of those contained gluten.  This book gives specific spices, herbs, and sauces.  We can now be tastefully gluten free.

Last night I fixed Chicken Satay and my family raved about it. Actually, my husband repeated over and over again how incredible the chicken was.  I served it on top of a rice dish that I created.  (Watch for it in another post.)


Chicken Satay
3 chicken breasts
Bamboo skewers
1 can (about 1 1/2 c.) coconut milk
Marinade:
1 t. black pepper
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
     (I used fresh cilantro from my garden.)
1/2 t. tumeric
1 t. minced garlic
1 T. sugar
1/4 c. soy sauce
     (I used gluten free Tamari sauce)
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. fish sauce

Cut thin slices of chicken that run the length of the pieces of meat. (each slice will be approximately 1 inch by 4 inches).  If the meat is too hard to cut into thin slices, freeze it for 30 - 45 minutes.  Place the sliced chicken in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and add to the meat.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.  When ready to cook the satays, thread each slice onto a skewer, working the skewer in and out of the meat down the middle of the slice. (I was in a hurry and didn't make them into satays.  Instead, I laid them on a grilling sheet.)  Baste the chicken with coconut milk.  Grill for a few minutes on a medium-hot grill.  Turn fairly often and continue to baste.  The chicken is done when they have turned golden brown.  Serve with rice and peanut sauce.   


No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...