Thursday, October 23, 2008

Coffee with an Long-time Friend

This morning I had a long (3 hour) coffee with a friend I've know for 20 years. (Has it really been that long?)

It was such fun to spend time with someone who has known me for a long time. I don't have to do a lot of explaining of myself. We update one another on our kids, our struggles and our victories. We share wisdom, give a little advice; mostly we encourage each other. Since we both have large families, homeschool and are involved in ministry we have a lot in common. Once the two of us talked about using the idea of running partners to describe our friendship. With a running partner, when you wear out and flag in your run, the partner urges you on.

After our coffee, I thought a lot of my various friendships. I'd love to spend my week going out for coffee with friends. I'd love to catch up with people who have been a part of my life over the years. The days, however, seem too full; the weeks go by so quickly. Once again, I was encouraged to think about the priorities and values in my life. If relationships are important, am I giving them the attention they require.

As I get older, I don't have the energy that I had in my youth. It's even more important to hear the Lord regarding my time, my focus, my vision and my priorities.

No comments:

It's OK to be Sad

It's OK to be sad.  It's OK to feel lonely. It's OK to be angry.  The Lord gives no injunctions against these emotions; he only ...